Hospital Chair urging people to get #fluShot to protect against Ebola. What???
I was reading a post about the flu vaccine, and saw this comment:
I find this SO disturbing! Most people won’t remember, or even hear, the his reason behind this advice and the rest of the statement . We remember small sound bites. What people will remember is “flu shot protects against Ebola”… And it’s NOT TRUE!
My biggest problem with the flu shot is the false sense of security that comes with it, and I think that statement contributes to that feeling. I’ve seen so many people on FB and Twitter who say they didn’t know the flu shot didn’t protect against colds and fevers. And I know people who wash their hands less often and use less common sense after getting a flu shot because they think they’re protected. The flu shot does not work like that.
The flu vaccine can ONLY protect against 3 strains of flu. Three, out of thousands.** Whether you are PRO or ANTI vaccine, PLEASE exercise common sense and good judgement. As we get closer to Halloween and other holidays filled with sugary treats our immune systems will weaken. Bad food choices leave us more susceptible to illness. Use these tips for getting through the season as healthy as possible.
- Wash Hands
- Take plenty of Vitamin C*
- Increase your Vitamin D* for the winter
- Kids need to be taking a multivitamin*, especially if they are around many other kids all day.
- Eat more vegetables
- Eat less junk food
- Don’t touch your face when out in public, get home and wash hands first
- Keep Toxin-Free Germ Wipes handy, especially if you have a compromised immune system.
There are many other supplements that help support the immune system, as well as many other things you can do to stay healthy. What are some of the things you and your family do, and supplements you take to get through the season? Post in the comments below, I’d love to add to my personal arsenal of tools!
** There are thousands of subtypes of influenza around the globe. The FDA tries to determine which types to put into the flu shot each year, based on which are most likely to affect the US population. It would be very risky to include all virus types in the vaccine because no one knows if the human body could handle that toxic load. People might develop a strong immune response to a strain that is insignificant, and not have enough antibodies to work on a more likely strain to affect the US. The flu shot gives us a tiny amount of the virus so that our bodies can develop antibodies to fight it. The FDA’s goal is to help us build antibodies to the strains most likely to affect us.
* Disclaimer: Post contains Referral Links. We only recommend Shaklee vitamins because of the high quality and production standards. Shaklee vitamins are the only supplements approved for use by US Olympic Athletes because of the zero tolerance policy for impurities. Shaklee tests each ingredient for over 300 impurities, where other high quality “pharma-grade” or USP Certified supplements only need to test for 83. USP (United States Pharmacopedia Certification) allows for contaminants that we do not. Additionally, USP certification, does not guarantee efficacy, purity, or potency. Shaklee guarantees all their products and offers a money back guarantee, even if the bottle is empty. Don’t mess around with drug store or health food store vitamins and supplements, because the quality isn’t 100% guaranteed, and you may not be able to return them if you don’t feel any benefit!