8 Nutrients That Improve Memory And Overall #BrainHealth
By Rebecca Heriz
Numerous studies show the benefits of nutritional supplements for brain health.
Many of the studies site specific illnesses like , and show how these nutrients can help improve cognitive function, even difficulties related to Alzheimer’s Disease, Hyperhomocysteinemia, Dementia, and Schizophrenia. Those studies also show how deficiency in these nutrients can lead to brain related disease.
When interested in protecting brain health, we should also be concerned with circulation and heart health. If blood doesn’t flow to the heart properly, then oxygen flow to the brain is decreased. Food and oxygen are carried to the brain via blood vessels. Keep your heart healthy, in order to help keep your brain healthy.
Here are 8 nutrients that help improve brain health:
- Folate – Folate deficiency causes learning and memory deficits (1) Dietary folate deficiency contributes to Alzheimer’s Disease. (2 & 3)
- Vitamins B6
- & B12 – B vitamin supplementation improves cognitive function. (4) Vitamin B12 improves cognition. (5)
“The B vitamins folic acid, vitamin B12 and B6 are essential for neuronal function, and severe deficiencies have been linked to increased risk of neurodevelopmental disorders, psychiatric disease and dementia.” (6)
- 4. Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera) – Improves overall circulation, which means more oxygen to the brain. Consumption of grape seed extract prevents amyloid-beta deposition and attenuates inflammation in the brain of an Alzheimer’s disease mouse. (7) Studies have shown that proanthocyanidins (polyphenols in grape seed extract) help to protect the body from sun damage, improve vision, improve flexibility in joints, arteries, and body tissues such as the heart, and to improve blood circulation by strengthening capillaries, arteries, and veins. (8) There are 509 studies published on pubmed.gov on the benefits of the grape polyphenol resveratrol for brain health.
- Guarana Extract – Guarana has long been used traditionally by Amazonian Indian tribes and has been shown to help improve cognitive performance.* Studies published on Pubmed.gov show that guarana improved both functional brain activity and mood. Please note, the guarana used in specific brain studies is not the same as the caffeine spiked energy drinks. The guarana extract used in the studies is naturally low in caffeine. (9)
- Calcium – Calcium ions deliver nerve signals from outside brain cells, to the inside. As we know, most women are calcium deficient, and it’s not just important for healthy bones and teeth, but brains as well. A study on early childhood on autism-related social and communication showed that “low calcium during early brain development could be a risk factor for adverse neurobehavioral outcomes”. (10)
- Green Coffee Bean – Research has identified specific polyphenols that have been shown to protect neurons against oxidative stress, and influence the levels of biochemical signals and growth factors that are critical for the formation of new synapses. Green coffee bean extract contains chlorogenic acid, a polyphenol, which has been shown to provide this benefit. (11)
- Blueberry Extract – Published trials of the benefits of grape and blueberry juice in the treatment of small numbers of cognitively impaired persons have recently appeared. The benefits of fruit products are thought to be a result of its polyphenol content. A few studies showed blueberry extract supplementation improves spatial memory. “Blueberry extracts may reverse the declines of cognitive and behavioral function in the aging process.” (12)
We’ve been giving my 6 year old a supplement with these nutrients, to help him focus at school.
To view the Brain Health supplement that contains these ingredients, go to BrainVitamin.info
Click HERE to learn how it’s helping him and what his teacher said when I took him off it for a few days.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food And Drug Administration